Who is the GSA?
The GSA has three levels of representation. The executive council comprised of President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and two Social Convenors. There is eight constituency commissioners: International Commissioner, Women’s Commissioner, Francophone Commissioner, Sexual and Gender Diversity Commissioner, Aboriginal Commissioner, Mature & Part-time Commissioner, and Accessibility/Special Needs Commissioner. The third level is program representatives from all graduate programs at Laurentian.
- The President shall call and chair all meetings of the GSA.
- The President shall be responsible for maintaining order, recognizing speakers, and proceedings with the agenda at all meetings.
- The President shall also be charged with the general management and supervision of the affairs and operations of the GSA.
- The President and the Vice President shall sign all by-laws.
- The President shall be the official spokesperson for the GSA.
- The President shall provide direction and leadership for the advancement and promotion of the objectives of the GSA.
- The President shall present a report of all activities undertaken on behalf of the GSA to all general meetings of the GSA.
- The President shall present an annual written report, which is satisfactory to the outgoing executive.
- The President shall have signing authority for the GSA on all accounts set up for the use of the GSA.
- The President or his or her designate shall fulfill such other duties as do not properly fall to any other Executive Council Member.
- The President or his or her designate shall contribute to the GSA web page update.
- The President must sit on the Board of Governors of Laurentian University, Graduate Council and Senate. If he or she cannot sit on Senate or Graduate Council, the Vice President may take his or her place.
- The VP shall exercise the powers and be charged with the duties of the President in the extended absence or incapacity of the latter, or when a vacancy in the Presidency exists.
- The VP shall sit on at least one sub-committee of senate.
- The VP shall maintain a complete list of graduate students on University committees, and maintain graduate members on these committees.
- The VP shall present a report of activities undertaken on behalf of the GSA at all general meetings.
- The VP shall have such additional duties as are provided herein, or as may be conferred upon or may be assigned to him/her by Executive Council Members of the GSA.
- The VP shall be charged with the responsibility of establishing and maintaining active communication with university graduate student associations external to Laurentian University and with other bodies as may be deemed advantageous by the Executive Council Members of the GSA.
- The VP shall represent the GSA to the external community in conjunction with the President.
- The VP shall supervise all public communications and publications of the GSA, as necessary.
- The VP shall be responsible for overseeing services of external organizations offered through the GSA.
- The VP shall be one of the three required signing Executive Council Members of the GSA.
- The treasurer shall keep full and accurate account of all receipts and disbursements of the GSA in the proper Books of account and shall deposit all moneys or other valuable effects in the name and to the credit of the GSA in such bank or other financial institution as may be designated by the Executive Council Members of the GSA.
- The treasurer shall disburse the funds of the GSA under the direction of the Executive Council Members, taking proper vouchers therefore and shall render to the Executive Council Members at the regular meetings an account of all transactions conducted, and of the financial position of the GSA.
- The Treasurer shall be one of the three required signing Executive Council Members of the GSA.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for merchandising projects of the GSA.
- The Treasurer shall perform such other duties as may be determined by the Executive Council Members of the GSA.
- The Secretary shall act as the recording secretary for the Executive Council, Joint Council, and General Meetings of the GSA;
- The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping current and accurate the minute book and records of the GSA except for all Financial records;
- The Secretary shall be responsible for safekeeping of the original copies of the Constitution, Minutes of the meetings, and amendments thereto;
- The Secretary shall prepare the agenda and the minutes of such meetings under the direction of the President;
- The Secretary shall act as Speaker at administrative and GSA council meetings;
- The Secretary shall distribute the draft minutes from the previous meeting to the meeting members for their approval and make note of amendments to be made;
- The Secretary shall submit ratified minutes with amendments to the appropriate book;
- The Secretary shall prepare and distribute such notices of general meetings as are required to be given by this or any other by-law of the GSA;
- The Secretary shall prepare and distribute notices, announcements and other public documents to be distributed to the membership;
- The Secretary shall be in charge of assuring that meetings and speakers adhere to Roberts’ Rules of Order;
- The Secretary shall perform any duties as assigned by the Executive Council Members of the GSA;
- The Secretary will oversee implementation, as well as ongoing compliance of Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and to handle inquiries/complaints.
- The Social Convenors shall be responsible for the organization, coordination, execution, general management and public relations for all social, recreational, artistic, literary and educational activities;
- The Social Convenors shall be responsible for advertising, notices and announcements relating to all social, recreational, artistic, literary and educational activities;
- The Social Convenors shall report to the Executive Council Members of the GSA on all social, recreational, artistic, literary and educational activities;
- The Social Convenors shall perform any duties as assigned by the Executive Council Members of the GSA.
- In addition to Student Representatives and Senators, representatives from eight constituency groups will all sit on the Council of Representatives and participate in Joint Council meetings.
- Program Representatives shall report on the activities, proceedings and policies of their departments to the Joint Council of the GSA, ascertain their views and assist in the coordination of the participation of students of their department;
- Each department will nominate one representative;
- Departmental representative shall have voting privileges at GSA Joint Council meetings;
- Student Representatives shall perform any duties as assigned by the Executive Council Members of the GSA and approved by the Joint Council;
- It shall be the responsibility of the graduate students in each program to arrange for the election of their representative to Council. Programs shall have full autonomy in choosing their representative. Where no election occurs, an acclamation will be declared after a nomination form containing 10 signatures or 50% of the members of the department, whichever is less has been remitted to the Executive. Notice of acclamation must be posted. The acclamation will take effect if the position is not contested for 2 weeks after the initial posting date.
Where the GSA Represents their Students:
- Senate/Sénat (2)
- Board of Governors/Conseil des gouverneurs (GSA & CUPE 5011)
- Graduate Council/Conseil des études supérieures
- Joint Committee on Bilingualism/Comite conjoint du bilinguisme
- Academic Planning Committee/Comite organisationnel sur la planification academique
- Food Services Committee/Comite des services d’alimentation
- Archives and Library Systems Committee/Comité des systems de la bibliotheque et les archives
- Accessibility Committee/Comite sur l’accessibilite
- Committee for English Language Programs (CELP)
- Bio Hazards Safety Committee/Comite de la security contre les contaminants biologiques
- Security and Parking Committee/Comite sur la securite et le stationnement
- IT Governance Committee/Comite sur la gouvernance IT
- Academic Regulations and Awards Committee/Comite des regulations academiques et de l’attribution des prix
- Presidential Advisory Committee on the Status of Women
- Teaching and Learning Committee, Teaching Excellence Award Selection Committee
- University Accounts Committee, Research, Development and Creativity Council
- Student Appeals/Appels etudiants
- Joint Association Meetings
- CFS Provincial Executive Representative/Representante à l’executif provincial de la FCÉÉ
- Alumni Association Board of Directors, Sexual Assault Policy Committee
- LU Club Executive.